As payroll professionals we like to think our job is about producing a paycheck each pay period and making sure employees have accurate pay each pay period. But it is not always that easy, employee’s get overpaid, they end employment with our companies for all kinds of different reasons and we need to be prepared to handle these situations and how to properly handle according to state and federal laws.
This webinar will give participants a better understanding of laws that affect how we handle all kinds of pay situations. Review of employee terminations and final pay requirements will be discussed in detail from the federal and state level. All types of terminations from death to voluntary terminations will be discussed so you will have a better understanding of payment timing, methods and taxation. Overpayments and laws around taxation and recouping funds from both active and terminated employees will be discussed in detail
- Review of different types of special pay situations to include: payroll overpayments, deceased employee pay, termination pay
- Discuss employee loans and advances and how to handle them
- Discuss the tax implications of overpayments, deceased employee pay and terminations
- Special year end reporting concerns.
- Final pay concerns for terminated employees from severance to legal settlements
- Determine who to pay final payments to deceased employees
- What are the best methods recouping overpaid dollars and non cash items
- What special state and federal laws should be considered
Format: Live webcast
Instructional Method: Group: Internet-based
NASBA Field of Study: Accounting
Program Prerequisites: None
Advance Preparation: None